Complete this course and the in-course assessments to take your knowledge to a whole new level.
* Take your knowledge to “master level” in this very specific domain
* Secure high-quality CPD at low cost
* Attract new clients
* Solve your own recurring pains
Successfully completing this course is a requirement of the practical training program we run . To enroll in the full practical training program, the only additional requirements are appropriate professional indemnity insurance, and membership of a regulatory organisation.
The Free Sample Introductory Lessons (scroll to the bottom of this page) give you a preview and information that you can apply immediately. These free lessons are focused on the three ways of damaging the low back (that’s right, there are only 3), how pain works, the exercises proven to provide relief and prevention, the rules of rehab and how to keep clients motivated.
Drawing on scientific research, this online course provides depth and detail. It’s essential for you to learn the theory behind the Active X Backs approach, so that you have the right knowledge to support your clients. The course is grounded in the international clinical guidelines for the management of low back pain and sciatica.
You will need to demonstrate your understanding by completing short quizzes as you progress. These may be re-taken at your leisure.
- Overview of anatomy of the lower back
- Epidemiology, Comorbidities and Risk Factors for Lower Back Pain
- Red Flags for lower back pain
- Stratifying by risk of chronicity
- Determining severity of lower back pain
- Medication for Lower Back Pain
- Physical Therapy Protocols for lower back pain
- The Biopsychosocial approach to pain
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Education, staying active in response to lower back pain
- Other treatments for lower back pain
- Investigations for LBP – MRI, X-Ray
- Review in favour of exercise for lower back pain
- Yoga for LBP
- What about the biomechanical?
- And the psychosocial?
- Putting it into practice with protocols
THE COURSE ALSO INCLUDES A BONUS – 13 Lessons on Pain. All you’ll ever need to know about how pain works. And why chronic pain is so difficult (but not impossible) to resolve.
MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP TO THE COURSE WITH THE NAME YOU WANT TO APPEAR ON YOUR FINAL CERTIFICATE.
Low back pain and sciatica course certification
After completing the online course successfully, you may progress to the full practical training. This will equip you to confidently manage the most difficult, intractable low back pain and sciatica clients
Our free assessment for low back pain and sciatica triages clients, on-boards them onto our service. You can use this too with your clients (by arrangement).
Gavin Routledge MSc, DO(Hons), DipIBLM is the Clinical Director of Active X Backs. He graduated in 1991 as the Gold Medalist from the British School of Osteopathy in London (now University College of Osteopathy). He has written 2 books on lower back pain, and in his Masters Degree in The Clinical Management of Pain he focused on low back pain and sciatica. He has run 4 clinics in Scotland since 1993, also providing on-site osteopathic services to Standard Life, BP, ASDA, and Aegon UK. He was formerly (2005-2015) a Vice Patron of the British School of Osteopathy and has acted as External Examiner for Scottish Massage Schools and The Scottish Massage Therapists Organisation, He is a Certified Lifestyle Medicine Professional and a committee member of the Chronic Pain Special Interest Group at The British Society of Lifestyle Medicine.
He now concentrates on helping clinicians and movement professionals to better support low back pain and sciatica sufferers.